Mercury Marine took the stage of the 2017 Miami International Boat Show to announce Mercury Diesel 6.7L midrange engine family.
The new common-rail engines will be offered with three power levels: 480hp, 500hp and 550hp. They will be available as inboards or packaged with the Mercury Zeus pod-drive. The new Mercury Diesel engine is compatible with Mercury’s SmartCraft controls and electronics, including optional joystick piloting for inboards and joystick piloting for pods (Zeus).
David Foulkes, whose title is (breathe…) Brunswick Corporation’s Vice President & Chief Technology Officer and Mercury Marine vice president – Product Development, Engineering and Racing (breathe again), said: “Mercury has established itself as providing the best integrated propulsion solutions to our customers. This is the first opportunity to provide our fully integrated ecosystem of technology and ease of boating features to our mid-range diesel customer.”
The new engines come from a partnership between Mercury Marine and the Italian engine manufacturer FPT Industrial. “Our strategic partnership with Mercury Marine, initiated in 2015, emphasizes the FPT Industrial technological leadership by providing our customers with best in class product and service, bolstering FPT Industrial’s competitiveness in the marine engine business,” said Massimo Rubatto, Vice President Sales at FPT Industrial.
The new Mercury Diesel 6.7L engines are assembled at FPT Industrial’s dedicated marine engine plant that adopts strict quality controls. Mercury’s new mid-range diesel family claim to offer excellent acceleration and top speed figures combined with quiet and smooth operation. The engine control system and electronic common-rail fuel injection provides low fuel consumption resulting in reduced operating costs and extended range. One of the advantages in adopting these units, as well, is the chance to access Mercury’s entire range of SmartCraft features.
- Engine Fuel System in-line six, high pressure common rail fuel system, turbocharged and after-cooled. Bore 104mm x Stroke 132mm Rated engine speed 3200 RPM.
- Electrical System Peak engine speed 3280 RPM. Available in 12V or 24V configuration. High output alternator 12V/90A or 24V/70A. Easy access maintenance points
- Lubrication System RCD 2 Self-draining oil filter for clean filter changes. Piston cooling nozzles. Equipped with oil sump evacuation system
- Exhaust System Single wastegated turbocharger. Glycol cooled turbine housing. Glycol cooled exhaust manifold.
- Air Intake Walker air filter and silencer.