After the version with the classic foredeck, here’s the bow-rider Air variant. As on 1017GT and Lido, the same option is available for the Frauscher 858 Fantom: Lido or Air.
The result is stylistically unmistakable, confirming that Frauscher has found an inexhaustible creative vein as confirmed by the win in the Elegance Competition that took place during the Cannes Yachting Festival. The regulation required the boat to participate with coherently dressed-up passengers, and Frauscher 858 Fantom Air won the category up to 12 meters.
Frauscher 858 Fantom Air the test
The weather in Cannes turns off the elegance of Frauscher 858 Fantom Air, but not its seaworthiness. With me is Mauro Feltrinelli, the Italian importer who has played a decisive role in the evolution of the Austrian manufacturer.
The chopped sea is further disturbed by the many boats on test during the show. Who cares, I should say. Because Frauscher 858 Phantom Air “flies” on the waves with smooth impacts and, above all, granting to passengers a completely dry navigation. I even go and sit in the bow to check if the balance is affected: but no, the boat sails perfectly and navigation remains quiet, still remembering that the sea is pretty unkind.
The boat is powered by a gas 430 HP V8 MerCruiser, the top choice available, but a 19″ propeller slightly hinders performance. Mauro Feltrinelli tells me we lose 5 knots (and still we touched 46!) but we have faster acceleration. So we try and prove him right: the chrono says 3.9 seconds to plane and 9 to reach 30 knots. We then pretend we have to pay gas, so slow down to a minimum planing speed iof 10 knots at 2,000 rpm, where the engine requires only 30 liters per hour.
Even at the helm all my efforts to embarass this Frauscher 858 Fantom Air are vain, as the boat sails safely under all conditions and faces the sea from all directions. A good safety not only for the “throttle happy”, but especially for less experienced boaters who know they can reach and exceed 40 knots in safety.
Frauscher 858 Fantom Air in three points
- The aerial shot you see is 858 Air’s best business card because it shows the usability of spaces. From the well-sized aft deck, to the passage between the two sundecks, to the central dashboard, then to the bow dinette.
- It’s a day cruiser and we all know. But what won us of this boat is the sailing comfort even in very short hauling. For example, the two awnings can be opened in a few seconds to repair passengers from the sun, but if it is raining, a spray hood is also available. And then, when there is no need, they disappear just as quickly behind and under the seatbacks.
- The dashboard combines analog clocks, a tribute to elegance, with the Garmin engine interface. And, I like the shiny stainless steel handrail that runs all over the width. I would change only the windshield, which does not repair much from the wind.
The numbers of Frauscher 858 Fantom Air
- Length overall 8.67 m (28ft 5in)
- Beam 2.49 m (8ft 2in)
- Displacement 2500 Kg
- Engines MerCruiser V8 8.2L 430 HP
- Fuel reserve 370 l (97 US gal)
- Fresh water reserve 32 l (8 US gal)
- Passengers 9
- Exteriors Kiska, Thomas Gerzer
- Technical design Harry Miesbauer
- Development Thomas Gerzer
- rpm knots mph lph nm/l range* dB
- 600 3,5 4,0 6,5 0,54 159 62
- 1000 4,6 5,3 9,7 0,47 140 64
- 1500 7,1 8,2 16 0,44 131 69
- 2000 9,5 10,9 25 0,38 112 71
- 2500 16,0 18,4 33 0,48 144 77
- 3000 23,0 26,5 44 0,52 155 79
- 3500 29,0 33,4 62 0,47 138 82
- 4000 35,0 40,3 88 0,40 118 82
- 4500 41,0 47,2 116 0,35 105 84
- 5000 46,0 52,9 147 0,31 93 86
- Moderate sea, clean hull, fuel 300 l (79 US gal), water full, 3 passengers.
Indicative price (VAT not included)
- MerCruiser V8 6.2L 350 HP € 202.861
- MerCruiser V8 8.2L 430 HP € 219.087
- Volvo Penta D4 300 HP Diesel € 235.191